RE: [VAL] Catalytic heaters

Further to my original post I came across a June, 2003 study
prepared by the United
States Consumer Product Safety Commission. In 2001 they started a project to
test CO emissions from portable catalytic heaters. They dont mention the
specific heater they were using for the test, but I suspect it was the Mr
Buddy
heater.
 Here are some paraphrased excerpts from the study:

The heaters catalyst did not appear to degrade over time.
This observation is based on operating two identical heaters on 100
disposable
1-pound bottles of propane (approximately 650 hours). Emission tests were
performed on each heater after every 20th bottle of propane (approximately
every 130 hours).

CO emissions were within safety standards for humans in an
enclosed area if an opening of sufficient size for fresh air were maintained.
however the risk of oxygen depletion and concomitant rise in CO and
hydrocarbon levels
would make a deadly cocktail if sufficient fresh air levels were not
maintained.

I think that we are all aware of the dangers involved with
heaters of any sort, but the study did give me some idea of the lifespan of
the
platinum catalyst. So the bottom line is I have some confidence that the
heater
will continue to give good service, BUT it still presents a danger to
health if the heater is not managed correctly.If you want to see the report :
www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA05/os/CO03.pdf

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave

> The Olympian catalytic heater, installed in my Caravel in 1996, continues to
perform flawlessly.  Anyone know the lifespan of catalytic heaters? Do they
slowly lose their efficiency?