[VAL] Old Grease

Dr. J,
I had forgot about the silicone grease on the old plug wires. Was always too
poor to afford that, so I just used vasoline. I did not know, or even
consider the effects of altitude on electrical, especially high voltage
electrical. I guess weve all had the frustration of the old systems where
the motor would not start on the long-period humidity or overnight wetness
of engines. I never related that to HEI and should have. Always thought it
was the distributor condensating underneath.

We all know that oil and grease do not wear out or breakdown without
cracking, but I have always been mystified how the old type grease in a
vintage trailer wheel bearing can be there in abundance, get hard, old, and
even with heat fail to lube a bearing, but catch fire when the bearing burns
up. You'd think before that, it would get hot, run into the bearing, lube
it, and prevent friction with subsequent loss. But it won't. Strange.

-Eddie-  Houston, Texas