[VAL] phantom ground

Most often "phantom ground" refers to a wiring shortcut some electricians
and amateurs take.  In correct wiring of a duplex outlet, the green ground
wire goes to the circuit breaker box where it is connected to the same
ground bus bar as the white wire.  This has been in the National Electrical
Code since the early 1950's.  Here's why:  If a fault develops in something
plugged into the outlet so you can touch it and get a shock, the green ground
wire connected to it will cause the circuit breaker to trip and protect you
from that shock.  In a 'phantom ground" the green ground wire is connected
to the white wire in the duplex outlet box instead of going back to the
circuit breaker box.  This will work and will trip the breaker if there is a
fault in the equipment plugged into it.  However, it can also cause unusual
results under certain fault conditions.  It can cause reversed polarity and
produce shocks under unusual conditions that would not happen if the wiring
were done correctly.  When you live in an aluminum box, this can become even
more of a problem.

Electricity won't tell you if you did it correctly.  But it will tell you if
you do it wrong.  Occasionally, as in a "phantom ground," the report may be
delayed.