[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V3 #621

> Might part of that extra stiffness come from selecting an axle with an
> excess of load capacity? Might we be advised with either axle of
> selecting an axle rated for the load we will be giving it, without
> excess and in that way to make the suspension softer. The old Henschens
> still hold the trailer up, but have gone stiff too.
>
> And while I've not worked out controls, on the single axle Airstream
> like my Caravel, a parking brake would be extremely handy. Four chocks
> hardly hold it on soft or hard surfaces.
>
> Do you have a good source for Henschens that don't cost our eyeteeth and
> first born?
> --
> Gerald J.

Businesses that operate out of a commercial building, have  overhead. That
overhead can be substantial, like ours.

That is far removed from someone operating a business from their  home, where
overhead is zero.

Having an national 800 number where the customer can talk to a live  person,
ask questions, seek help, etc, also costs money. Those that operate out  of a
house, offer neither.

Airstream owners normally support a dealer that is supportive  of them, by
offering a means of personal communication, and assistance along  with advice.
Employees do that, and must be paid.

The cost of parts supplied by a supportive company, must include  those
overhead costs. A single employee enterprise does not share those  costs.

Some owners complain of replacement axle costs, yet make little  mention of
the fact that those same axles, from the Airstream factory, cost 20  to 35
percent more.

Therefore, it would only seem fair, that if the dealer that sells  torsion
axles at a price that some find offensive, then what might their  opinions be of
the Airstream factory selling them at a much higher price?

Could it be they don't want to criticize Airstream? Perhaps  so.

All axles are custom made. When axles can be mass produced without  any human
labor involved, then and only then will the prices perhaps be  lower.

Gosh, we wonder where we can find an automobile dealer that  operates out of
their house. Bet they could make one heck of a  deal.

Having a no nonsense contact with a live person to order a  torsion axle,
when the only information needed is the trailer serial number, has  many many
advantages over dealing with someone that hardly knows what an  Airstream is,
along with switching owners down to 10 inch brakes instead of 12  inch brakes,
then saying shocks are not needed, are statements totally against  Airstream
engineers.

If we could say those Airstream engineers are wrong, then perhaps  the rest
of the trailer is wrong as well, meaning, don't ever buy an Airstream,  because
their engineers are "ALL WRONG."

Not a chance.

Andy
Inland RV Center, Inc.

A major supporter of Airstream owners for over 41  years.