[VAL] Re: awning for 63 safari

On my 61 24 ft tradewind I used an  A&E 8500 awning.  A&E offers a
number of different curved arms and will send you the info in a .PDF
file if you call them.

At the time I did this (2003) they did not have a recommendation as
to which curved arm to use .  I made a cardboard template of the
trailer curve and made a selection based on it.
A&E curved arms have a  long part number ending in 3 digits.. I
selected the arm ending in 016, the dealer i worked thru  suggested 017.

I recently had contact  with A&E and they are now recommending  the
015  arm.. Obviously there is some go and come on this.
It is safe to assume once you order the arms you own them unless A&E
makes the selection.  Fortunately my selection worked out ok and I
was able to clear all eye brows etc with a stock 14 foot awning.  I
did not ask if they would supply a slightly longer/shorter awning
tube to address clearance problems.

While going through this I also contacted Zip Dee.  Their awning cost
approached the cost of the trailer
  Carefree of Colorado did not have an arm recommendation or offer
drawings but I have seen them on trailers of this vintage.
The  A&E extends about 8 feet and is easy to operate.
Using an awning with poles and ropes struck me as too much hassle to
bother with.

At the time I did this the curved arms added about $100 to the price
for this awning in catalogs.  If  I remember correctly it was in the
neighborhood of $700 for the 14 footer.  Installation was not too difficult.
All this may be a little confusing but perhaps something in it may be
of some help.

Rick Davis  1602
61 24 ft tradewind
70 globe trotter