Re: [VAL] Stuck awning tubes.

    John,

>>snip Of course, muriatic acid also dissolves aluminum.

    Thanks, a good point that wasn't lost on me.  I made it very dilute and
watched it fizzle and bubble a little from one end.  Eventually it occurred
to me that the fizzle might have been coming from the edges of the end that
weren't anodized so I took it out and rinsed the entire assembly.

    As of now it's clamped vertically in my bench vise and I've started a
program of applying Liquid Wrench to the gap between the inner and outer
tubes.  I'll continue that for some days to come because frankly, I've run
out of ideas.

    To this point I've soaked it in vinegar, a 1-2% solution of muriatic
acid and water, applied heat locally and along the entire four foot length,
Banged it with a plastic hammer (and gotten a lot of crud to fall out with
each blow) and clamped the inner tube in the vise while hammering the outer
tube using an L-shaped piece of scrap stainless applied to two of the four
sides of the tube end.  All this has resulted in a 1 1/4" movement of the
inner tube with almost four feet left to separate.

    I've searched high and low for the venerable PB Blaster locally and even
went to their web site plugging in my zip code to no avail.  It must not be
too popular out here on the west coast 'cuz it ain't anywhere to be found.

    Using that Blaster is the only suggestion I haven't been able to act on
from all the kind suggestions I've gotten from this list.

    Thanks and regards to you and all,

    Glyn Judson, 1969 Caravel #508, Santa Monica, CA