[VAL] Brake lining VAL Digest V3 #335

Andy,
Brake shoes, pads, clutch discs, drum bands, drum facing, AC compressor
clutch in your vehicle, and just a whole lists of friction contact items
have linings. Lining materials vary a lot, from cheapy fast wear to all
levels of quality including metals. Soft materials don't wear drums and
discs fast, but rapidly wear out and then the metal core destroys the disc
or drum. There are bonded linings, bonded rivited, rivited, welded, and so
on. Anything can be re-lined, made up, and lined. There are companies that
do this. There is or was one really good one in Houston TX that does only
that business. It can be very cost effective. It can also be too expensive
depending upon the oddity of the core. Cores must be relined before the
lining has been so chewed away that the core becomes damaged beyond re-use.

Many pads, shoes, and clutch plates have expensive core charges you pay if
you do not have an exchange reusable core. Especially on big trucks and
heavy equipment it is very common to re-line because new replacement cost is
three and four times more expensive. It is wrong for anyone to suggest a
re-lined part is not as good as a new part. Many times a part can be relined
many times better than what was ever available new. This is true especially
for vintage parts with today's better bonding materials, linings, fasteners,
and equipment technologies.

Let me know if you want me to bother to look up, call, and confirm the
rebuilder here in Houston.

-Eddie-  (713)694-8084 24hrs or email, EddieHuffstetter@hotmail.com