[VAL] Shocks

Fellow Listers,
  We are on the road and find we need shocks for our '81 31' Excella II.
We stopped at one A/S dealler and were told that trailer shocks are
different from auto shocks in the way they worked!
  He said he could order them from A/S @ cost of $35.46. That doesn't help
us while we are on the road. Does any one know if there are equivalent
"auto" shocks that will fit and where to find them?
  I looked at the current ones (oil seepage, etc) and they appear to me to
be able to change them without dropping the axel. (unlike the '71 we had).
  Any help would  be appreciated.
  Cliff Horton WBCCI 26925. Thanks.