[VAL] Re: Suburban 2500 as Tow Vehicle

Greetings Karen!

> We use a 1999 Suburban as our tow vehicle.  It is the LT1500.  We are
> wanting to replace it with a newer one and I was wondering if anyone
> has a suggestion about what engine size we should get.  The 2500
> comes with either a 6 or 8 liter engine.  The one we have seems to
> not have quite as much power as we would like to pull our 26'
> Overlander in the mountains.  Does anyone else use a Suburban that
> they are happy with in pulling a larger trailer?

My primary tow vehicle is a 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban with the 7.4 Liter
V8, and I wouldn't consider a tow vehicle with a motor smaller than the
7.l4 Liter when towing my Overlander in the Rocky Mountains -- I very
quickly became dissatisfied with the performance of my prior tow
vehicle's 5.7 Liter V8.  My 1999 GMC was a special order unit that I
took delivery of in April of 1998 and have covered in excess of 167,000
miles with minimal trouble (other than frequent problems with the
electronic circuit board that controls the electronic 4WD transfer
case).  In fact, I am currently enjoying Glacier National Park, and the
Suburban is performing flawlessly.

While the big block gas V8 is far from fuel efficient, when towing
either of my trailers, it delivers at least the same if not somewhat
better mileage than my previous 5.7 Liter V8.  When towing, I generally
keep my speed below 60 MPH which permits utilizing overdrive much of the
time.

Good luck with your search for a newer Suburban!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 (7.4 Liter V8/4.10
Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)