[VAL] Re: Heaters

I recently took the bottom off of my 40-yr. old furnace in my '66
Caravel to clean it. It had about an inch of rust scale and leaves. In
the process of reassembling the bottom, a square piece of galvanized
sheet metal about 4X4 fell down from to top inside of the "tank". It had
no screw/rivit holes or any other visible signs of how or where it was
attached. I am surmising that it was a baffle of some kind to keep the
heat from going directly out the vent. Is this a good guess?

In searching for a suitable/reasonable replacement, I ran across a
vented (repeat, vented) catalytic heater from A&L Enterprises
(www.omnicast.net/~arnie/) that is attractive. I've read the sage advice
against UNvented cats, but does this 3000 BTU propane model seem like a
safe option?

Tony Seidel
Sonora, Ca
1966 Caravel.