[VAL] RE: Drilling out lock cylinders ( was: Outside Water Hookup and Original Water Pump)

**Does anyone
have any ideas as to how to get into the storage areas?
**

Ellen,
We have a 63 AS and had the same issue. We drilled our lock cylinders right
out. While it destroyed the innards of the cylinder, it left the barrel
intact so we can (eventually) take it to our locksmith and match them up to
new ones. Somewhere I read about an old Ford ? cylinder that might
work...but I may be mistaken. My husband took a medium sized drill bit
(don't remember size) and drilled right into the key slot. Once inside the
slot move the drill in small circles to mix everything up and the hatch will
pop open. Doing this did not hurt our hatch at all, despite the seemingly
brutal process. We used good ol' duct tape to cover the hole and hold the
hatches closed for now since our trailer isn't going anywhere soon either :)

-Tracey
www.geezitron.com/1963_airstream