[VAL] furnace replacement recap

All-
Thought I'd recap my recent experience replacing the furnace in our
1979 @ 31' International. After a few servicings and a year of
temperamental behavior I decided it was time to go.

At the time we were in Vermont and I was referred to Colin at GSM
vehicles. After speaking with Colin and doing some research (Thanks
Colin for your time and advice!)  I decided to tackle the job myself.
First stop was at the local RV dealer, who offered to order a furnace
for $650 (or more- they couldn't say until they'd ordered it). Their
catalog helped me pin down the model I needed- the Suburban NT-24SP was
the exact size of the original Suburban furnace. Within 10 minutes on
the Web I found the furnace from a brick and mortar shop (Hawk
Engineering) in MO selling on EBay for $450 shipping included.

The RV furnace supply in the U.S. is very tight right now due to all
the trailers being built for hurricane relief. We had to wait a couple
of weeks for it to arrive: by then we were in PA. The dimensions of the
new furnace matched those of the old exactly. However in the
intervening 26 years Suburban has changed the location of the gas inlet
to the lower front right corner from the upper front right; and the
duct outlets moved up accordingly. The old copper line (which was not
tinned) could not be relocated to the new inlet. After three attempts
to bend and flare new copper into the precise configuration required
(with the correct tools)- and install it without kinking- I decided to
abandon copper in favor of flex stainless, available from an LP shop.
Flex made the job MUCH easier, and since it's entirely hidden from view
(except for under the belly) and at least as durable as copper I found
it to be a suitable substitute. (As an aside, I'm sure the furnace was
originally installed early in the assembly of the kitchen; the rest of
the cabinetry was installed around it, making soft copper much easier
to bend and install unobstructed).

Adjustments to the ductwork required fabricating a couple of simple
adaptors from sheet metal. Roughly 1/2 hour with a hand break and a
straight and a right hand snips. Turns out the centers of the 3" ducts
was changed ~ 3/4".
The only other modification I had to make was to drill a 2" hole
through the bottom of the cabinet with a bimetal hole saw for the flex
duct that keeps plumbing below the belly skin warm.
I also added 1/2" of foil faced insulation behind the furnace against
the outside skin. The inside skin is removed (by Airstream) to allow
the furnace to use the wall cavity space; however it's clear that this
is a major spot for condensation. Since the furnace is rated for zero
clearance I am comfortable with this addition.
So far we are thrilled with the new furnace and happy with our
decisions.

Hope this info helps someone considering a similar adventure.

Chris Koehn
1979 @ 31' International Sovereign Land Yacht
at the Vintage rally near Salisbury, NC, heading for Charleston, SC