[VAL] Airstream Worktruck

The cover of the Vintage Advantage newsletter Volume 7, Spring 2000, Issue
#3 has a picture of the work truck with another in the background. It was
made of a piece of trailer, with flat ends, mounted on a Chevy truck frame.
There were 3 made for the African rally of 59. There is a reference on page
336 of Cape Town to Cairo book of the three self-contained trucks in which
four young men rode.

On page 239 of Cape Town to Cairo you will see a 30  trailer with the axels
raised and on page 110 of Airstream, The History of the Land Yacht ,3rd from
the left is the same trailer. It was the longest trailer on the African rally.
It was the Graboski family with 16 year old daughter Tony and 12 year old son
Michael. At the end of the rally Tony married Art Ruiz, then 21 year old
mechanic for Airstream who travelled in one of the work trucks. He had a
record player and attracted the younger people on the rally with it. At the
end of the Cape Town movie the marriage is mentioned. Still married in 2000
and living in Texas.

In 2000 when we met them at Fredericksburg Texas rally, Michael said he has
one of the work trucks . It was in bad shape and he was thinking of restoring
it. He lived somewhere in southern Texas at the time and I don't remember
where.

Doug