[VAL] hub studs

Hi Bobby,

  Perhaps you've heard me tell this story before, but those of us who
didn't used to carry an extra set of hub studs for our specific
Airstream and then lost a wheel, now carry a spare set to replace those
ruined when a wheel comes loose. That'll never happen to you, right?
Nor me, either.  :-)

One Winter 15 years ago, we lost a wheel (found it later) and limped in
to a tire dealership in Illinois. Being green about hub studs, I was
certain he had my size. The upshot was I was "invited" to check all 312
of his hub stud boxes for the exact size to fit our Airstream. There
were none to be found.

I think I became too insistent about wanting to look for my self after
he told me he had a "wall of hub stud boxes."  He should have told me
to "take a hike." Instead, he said "go look for yourself." That was a
wasted hour and a half.

He then volunteered his phone book and I called every tire and RV
dealership within a 200 mile radius. Again, that was another wasted
hour and a half plus a pile of long distance charges on our cell phone.

Finally at 5 pm when all businesses started closing, my narrow minded
way of thinking shifted gears. I got the bright idea of calling
Airstream dealers to the west who were still open for business -
because they were in an earlier time zone.

On my first call (Oasis RV in Tucson), the parts guy told me he had the
exact hub studs, he would deliver them to Fed Ex immediately for
overnight express to me and I'd have them in the morning by 10 am. I
told the tire dealer and he laughed at me.

To the dismay of the tire dealer, the Fed Ex truck drove up at 10 am
with the hub studs. They fit perfectly. Voila` - we were off and
rolling at 11 am.

Do I do business with Oasis RV in Tucson every chance I get? You bet.
Do I cheerfully pay the shipping fee?  You bet.
Do I stop in at Oasis just to visit and see what I can buy?  You bet.
Did I swap two 30# propane bottles for two 40#ers at a cost of $100 and
then polished them to a mirror shine?  You bet.

What I'm trying to say is - IMHO, it might be wise to buy a spare set
of hub studs that are the exact duplicates of those on your Airstream.

And if you feel like starting up a reciprocally beneficial relationship
with an Airstream dealer who cares enough about his customers to go out
of his way to accommodate them, buy the hub studs from Oasis RV in
Tucson.   <http://www.oasisrv.com>

Enough said,

Terry
1989 32' Excella