[VAL] ATTN. FRED COLDWELL...

Fred,

The letter below appeared on the Revcon mailing list this morning, and I
thought you should know about it.  I've taken the liberty to supply Michael,
one of our regulars, with your email address, and that of the list.  He's
stumbled across what might be a piece of AS history.  Here's what he sent:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Friends,  totally off topic here but I must share with you what for me
was an exciting discovery I made last weekend.  As some of you know, we
are keeping our '72-250 RoadHouse on Chokoloskee Island on the southwest
Gulf coast of Florida for the summer.  As my Lovely Bride and I were
walking Sam, our Border Collie, last Sat. we happened upon an old,
derelict-looking Airstream in the backyard of a shuttered-up house.
Now, I don't know about you but I'm a sucker for any old Airstream and
have a close friend who recently bought a '65.  Seeing that there was no
fence and the owners were definately not home I decided to get a closer
look.  To say that what I found astounded me would be an understatement.
Hand-painted neatly on the starboard-forward quarter panel in black
letters much faded after years of exposure I read "1959-60 Europe Africa
Asia"  Underneath that heading were several columns of countries visited
by this coach.  I counted over 50 listed.  The African countries were so
intriguing with names such as Bechuawana Land, Zululand, No. Rodesia,
So.Rodesia, Belgian Congo,Mozambique, Egypt, Sudan, Morocco, etc.  The
list included the middle east and Jordan, Syria,(no mention of Israel)
Turkey and on and on.  Most all of Europe was listed including
Lichtenstein, the Vatican, Scandinavia and the British Isles.  I wasn't
able to make out the Asian countries (truth be told I was starting to
get a little uncomfortable about hanging out in this strangers back
yard) but I did see in very faded paint mention of a trip through the
Pacific Northwest, Canada, Alaska and the Maritime Provinces in 1962.  I
beleive that what I may have discovered here is one of the original
coaches that was part of Wally Byam's famous world caravan tour.  I
recall seeing some old photos of it's mention in a book about the
history of Airstream.  This was truly an epic adventure of its time and
I am hoping to learn more about it.  Perhaps some of you Revvers may
know more about this.  As most of us know, the Revcon shares an intimate
relationship with Airstream and the  'Stream could be considered our
ancestor.  Some of you may be wondering what kind of shape the coach is
in.  Well, it looked pretty good for a rig almost 50 years old.  It had
sustained a few bruises along its way but nothing serious from what I
could see.  And, Yes, I'm definately going to try to hook up with the
current owners and try to get a look inside this piece of Rolling
History.  More to follow, I hope.............Best regards,  Michael In
Lauderdale where we are expecting a Cat.1 Hurricane to cme ashore here
tonight.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mark in Modesto
'62 Tradewind