[VAL] Re: wheel for spare tire

Experience can be a expensive teacher.  I would suggest that you pop
off the hub caps and check the lugs.
When I purchase my 69 caravel the prev owner had it checked out by a
trailer co. ( not airstream ) so it would be ready to go after I had
driven for 6 hours to pick it up.   Had problems with the tow back
home.   I thought that I was having problems with the "old tires",
maybe out of balance, cupping, ect.  The last two hours I reduced
speed to 40 mph.  This was between 1 and 2 am.
Upon getting home, I ordered new tires.  Some of you are probably
ahead of me, but when the hub caps were popped, one wheel had almost
disconnected from loose lugs. You could almost pull the wheel off
without removing the lugs.  Had enlarged the holes large enough that
the lugs would slip through.  At that point I had mixed emotions. One
very greatful to  have made it home without distroying my New Prize
and two angry that the trailer co had not checked the lugs.  Now I
carry a torque wrench and check after the first 50 miles of every
trip.  "Have you ever seen a one axle airstream that has lost its
wheel while traveling at 55 mph.  Please check the lugs.
Dan
69 Caravel
14148