[VAL] Frame Separation

Pete is correct about the problem being most prevalent in rear bath
trailers - especially if the previous owner didn't apply the concept of
a "see-saw" when he saw where the holding tanks were located. Perhaps
owners who towed their Airstreams with the holding tanks partially full
or full were the ones who also slept during their high school physics
classes.

If my experience is any indication, frame separation can occur in rear
bedroom models too  - especially when (1) the owner has replaced the
mattresses with heavier mattresses than were originally installed by
the Airstream factory, and (2) the owner has packed the storage area
under each twin bed with everything but the kitchen sink. Storage areas
under the rear bed(s) are especially attractive because of their length
and easy access from inside and outside the trailer.

As for fixing a frame separation, I found out first hand that cost can
range widely depending on the cause. I've fixed two Airstreams ('78 31"
& '67 22') with frame separation and each cost less than $500. Both
"fixes" could have been much more expensive had I not volunteered to
unfasten and lower the belly pan so the welder could find the problem
and fix it. My welder was happy to have me do the "scud" work while his
welding skills were used on other jobs for other customers. After he
"fixed" my frame separation problem, I volunteered (and he took me up
on it) to button up the belly pan.

All told, dropping the belly pan and reattaching it used up the
majority of the day my Airstream was in the Welder's garage. His actual
work on each of my Airstreams was done in less than one hour. He didn't
charge me for the work I did on my Airstream in his garage.

Not only was it a real convenience for me to wear safety glasses and my
Navy watch cap to keep dirt out of my eyes, ears and hair (what hair?),
but a block of wood with a piece of carpet stapled to it was a major
comfort for supporting my head while laying on my back on the floor.

Likewise, I wore one of my son's worn-out Pilot's jump suits which kept
dirt out of my waist band and from getting under my shirt while my arms
and shoulders were going through contortions to align the belly pan
sheets so my hands could squeeze the pot rivet gun as soon as the rivet
was positioned correctly.

To reattach the belly pan, I used all three of my expensive high
quality pop rivet guns. This made the job go faster when I could set
aside a jammed gun and use one of my spares. It was also helpful that I
had purchased a box of 500 pop rivets ahead of time. I learned that
from someone on this list.

Also, the job went faster with four pair of lockjaw pliers to hold the
belly pan sheets in place after I lined them up before popping the
rivets in place. I could have done the job much faster if I'd had an
extra arm and hand.

Bottom line, frame separation is no big deal for the owner who locates
a welder who is willing to let him do the labor of dropping and
reattaching the belly pan. My comment to a potential buyer is >> If the
Airstream is in excellent condition otherwise, I wouldn't be shy about
buying it.

Nor would I shy off at finding floor rot. Liquid penetrating epoxy is
simple to use and exceptionally effective in re-establishing a solid
floor. This job was best done when I did it on a low humidity cool day.
If I had access to a  garage or barn, it could have been done any day
of the week.

Of course, the cause for floor rot needs to be located and fixed. I've
found that job to be straight forward using concepts I learned in my
high school physics classes - plus dogged persistence at being
systematically logical in my search pattern.

Restoring, repairing and refurbishing an old Airstream has been greatly
simplified for me when I break down each job into small parts and do my
homework before I touch a tool (sort of like prepping a house before
painting it).  If any of this is helpful to others, be my guest.

Terry
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1967 22' Safari
1989 32' Excella