RE: [VAL] frame separation

Not sure I agree with the premise that frame separation is often caused by
floor rot, although floor rot is almost always found with frame separation.
This is due to water intrusion around the area where the frame separated.
Mine had a new floor, all new bolts etc. and the frame bent and drooped
anyway.  It is a problem with the strength of the frame.  The inferior
frames bend right behind the rear axle which causes separation at the rear
of the trailer.  The monocoque structure of the trailer remains intact and
when the frame bends it rips at the weakest point - where the frame attaches
to the trailer body.

If you are interested in the trailer by all means go look at it.  Frame
separation is easy to see.  You will see buckling along the side of the
trailer around the wheels and probably some popped rivets.  Also check where
the frame extends from the rear of the trailer.  There should be no
separation between the frame and the body.  If there is any separation even
on one side you probably have the problem.  It also manifests itself on the
interior along the ceiling where the walls attach.  Mine had a tear in the
metal where the wall between the kitchen and the bedroom attached to the
ceiling on the curb side.  The flex in the frame pushed the wall up into the
ceiling which caused the tear.  Wish I knew about all of this before I
bought my trailer.  Makes a good negotiation point.  It is not the end of
the world though if you do have a problem.  You can purchase a kit to repair
the frame or have the factory repair it.  I had mine done a little while ago
for around $2800.

The problem was most prevalant in rear bath trailers.  Seems the company
thought having the black tank at the rear of the trailer would offset the
fresh water tank at the front and didn't engineer the frame to support the
load so far behind the wheels.

Pete