Re: [VAL] holes in belly pan

> What is the file for - the sharp edges? What does 'radius' mean? Is
> there a specific solvent that won't damage the aluminum? How far away
> from the edge of the patch should the rivets go in order not to crack
> the metal and how far apart should the rivets be? Do I have to use the
> "Olympic" rivets mentioned on the Airstreamdreams website or can I
> find other types that will look okay. (I realize that on the belly pan
> this would be less important)

I found that a sander of some sort held upside down is a better method
of making aluminum edges blunt than using a file.
Olympic rivets are not necessary, as the belly pan is not visible. Use
of standard pop rivets is just fine. If you give a quarter of an inch
from rivet hole to edge, then that's usually fine. Rivet spacing
depends on the size of the patch, I suppose. A small patch like the
size of one's hand might only require 8 rivets, 3 on each side.
I secured my belly pan mostly with 5/32 rivets. This is the next size
up from the 1/8 in rivets. These are available with larger heads and
seem to bite better into less than perfect metal frames.
Radius is a degree measurement of a rounded corner. Radius is also the
distance from a center of a circle to the perimeter. A larger radius
will make a softer/rounder looking corner. A smaller radius will make a
corner where the roundness ( is that a word?) is barely perceptible.

> By the way, Daisy, I think the holes were caused by somebody using
> non-aluminum screws on the belly pan. The split caused by something
> poking through I'm not sure about. It's under the door area where the
> door lip had bent down and torn a bit. We have fixed that so hopefully
> that's an end to it.

I have observed frame outriggers rubbing through the curved part of a
belly wrap before. The end result is often a vertical split under the
floor level.

Uwe Salwender
Orange CA