[VAL] A/C trouble

Hello all-

The A/C  on our 1979 International Sovereign 31' seems to be on the
blink. The fan works on all three speeds.  When I manipulate the
thermostat to call for cooling I can hear a "clunk", which I think
indicates it's working. The compressor never starts up. Circuit breaker
is fine. Incoming voltage is adequate. The A/C is an Armstrong 14,
original to the coach.
Can I do some simple testing before taking it to a pro?
If it needs to be replaced, is there a recommendation on a new one?
Thanks!

Chris Koehn
sweating in Wisconsin