Re: [VAL] Interested in VAC

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder as along with which era a person
chooses.  I personly prefer the pre- 1969 models as they are the last of the
line that carried the designs of the founder Wally Byam.  The new design with
the wider front window came out in 1969 and was the last year to have real wood
cabinetry.  I prefer the 1950's models because I love that era,  the birch
cabinetry and the lighter weights.  Wally decreed that an Airstream should be
light enough to tow by the family sedan (or stationwagon)  without undue wear on
the car's drivetrain.  My 1952 Cruiser is 25'  and has the layout of a 28'
SOB brand and weighs only 2,400 lbs..  A comparable SOB trailer weighs about
5,000 lbs.  I certainly don't need a 4 door Freightliner to tow it!

Some of the newer A/S's haave oak cabinets and corian counters and weigh
around 7,000 lbs. and must have ol' Wally rolling in the grave,  But they are very
comfortable and have every option available.  The brand new A/S's have
chisled off some of their weight and have a wonderful new styling department that
have a retro/modern thing going and they are beautiful but cost on average
$60,000.

Bottom line is keep looking at the different years and lengths and checkout
the various Vintage Airstream web sites.

One final word of advice,  don't go too small.  Towing is towing,  whether
you have 16' or 26'.  My 26'  Overlander tows easier than my parents 21'
Globetrotter did and felt lighter.  The smaller trailers are cute but that few extra
feet of storage, bath and living space make a world of difference.
Good Luck and Welcome aboard!
Vanessa
1952  Cruiser  25'
1956   Flying Cloud  22"