[VAL] First trip out in our "new" Bambi

Hi all,

I guess this message bounced from the VAList the first time I sent it out.
(Thanks for the heads up, Tom)  Those of you on the Yahoo Airstream list have
already seen it.

We just completed the "shakedown" run in our "new", 1961 Bambi, Stella.  I
guess we like our trailers small and our trips big.  Our shakedown was a 3250
mile trip with a stop in Jackson Center and camping in Michigan's Upper
Peninsula.  We didn't exactly intend for this to be our first trip out, but I
hurt my back  a few weeks ago and we had to forego a local camping trip.

We camped at Twin Lakes state park in MI.  My step brother got married on July
3rd at the campground.  How convenient.  I made these reservations back in
December and failed to check on the availability of hookups since then.  For
some reason, I thought there were full hookups.  As such, I focused all my
system-testing in the Bambi on the electrical, sewer (no gray tank) and the
city water system.  Everything for those systems was ready to go.  Imagine my
horror as we pull up the campground and the attendant says "electric only".
It wouldn't have been so bad except I knew my water tank had a bad seal where
the top meets one side.  I had never put water in it and hadn't cleaned it.
Great.  Well, we filled it up about two-thirds of the way and made our way
slowly to the campsite.  The Bambi has no 12V converter so we were counting on
the two onboard batteries being charged from the charge line on our tow
vehicle.  Thankfully, the batteries had plenty of juice to power the yet
untested 12V water pump for three days.  It worked well.  But, who cares about
water delivery when you have nowhere to store or dump the used water?
Thankfully, a PO had added a fair amount of large PVC under the trailer that
served as a very small gray tank.  All we used the water for way a quick hand
washing and washing dishes, which wasn't much.  Thanks to a "leaky" (read:
loosened) sewer cap, the wash water found it's way back into the earth.  (this
process was manually enhanced at night.  shhh)

Stella towed like a champ for the whole trip!  I was very careful to pack her
low and keep heavier items over the axle.  Because of an impromptu trip to
IKEA in Canada on the way home, she became part cargo trailer as she carried a
couple flat-packed display shelf units we bought.  She towed much better
loaded than she did unloaded when we first got her.

As time permits, I will be posting a more detailed report, including pictures,
on my website www.vintageairstreamer.com.  Stay tuned.

Thanks,
Wally