[VAL] Washing

Hello all,

To clean and even out the skin color of your Airstream, you might try
something that Spartan owners (including myself) have tried. Pick up a
couple of bottles of Eagle One Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner at your auto parts
store. Make sure it's the "etching" cleaner. Add one bottle to a bucket with
about two gallons of soapy water and use this solution to clean the trailer.
Keep the solution on the trailer for about five minutes, adding more to keep
it from drying, then rinse. Keep going around the trailer, doing a few feet
at a time. You should be able to see the color of the trailer lighten and
even out as the etching agent works. Make sure you rinse well.

Some people believe that an etching cleaner isn't good for the rivets, but
I've had no problems with this method. I think that most people make the
mistake of using the etching cleaner full strength. I find that by diluting
it, the results are much more even and controllable.

If you are concerned about the long term effects of the etching cleaner on
the rivets, dissolve a box of baking soda in a couple of gallons of water
and rinse the trailer with this to neutralize any remaining traces of the
cleaner, then give it a good long final rinse.

Of course, all of the above will only work if the clearcoat has been
removed. Also, don't use this method on a polished trailer. However, it is a
good pre-polish treatment.

Brian Jenkins