RE: [VAL] Tires

Scott,

Yes, the very early sixties did not have owner's manuals, I think though
that started in 1964. I know for sure that from 1965 and after all had
owner's manuals. My manual for instance says, "The proper pressure for tires
supplied with your Airstream (7.00 x15)is 45 psi; (the 6.70 x 15 tires used
on the Caravel use 40 psi)." Likewise the manual for my Overlander gives a
tire pressure of 45 psi.

You bring up a good point for discussion. I think I was under the impression
that Dave's Airstream used a Dura Torque axle.  I tend to think about axles
in the sixties as all being Henchen Dura Torque and forget that it wasn't
introduced until 1961. Prior to that the axles were leaf spring and even the
larger trailers, such as yours, often had only one axle. With the leaf
spring designs I imagine there was greater availability of higher capacity
axles. Obviously, since your '60 28' (an Ambassador I guess?) has a single
axle it must be of higher weight capacity than the Dura Torque.

What I'm wondering is if the original Dura Torque axles came in more than
two weight capacities? For instance I know that the Dura Torque axle used on
the Caravel and Bambi had axles rated at about 3,200 lbs. (I say about
because I don't have specs to refer to), and then the axles on the Globe
Trotter up to the Sovereign were rated at about 4,000 lbs. So, we see
Airstream going to dual axles on more of their models starting in 1961.

Now you say that your trailer weighs in at "under 5000#" so I suppose you
have a leaf spring axle? If so, can you tell us what your axle is rated to
carry? The reason I ask is that tire capacity ought to be somewhat
commensurate with axle capacity. So, if Dave has leaf spring axles rated at
over 5000 lbs then him wanting to use an 8 ply tire wouldn't be
unreasonable. Specifications for your 28' 1960 Airstream is an 8 ply tire
(I'm not speculating on that - it is stated in the sales brochure - "Heavy
Duty Axle, 8 ply tires").

Forrest