Re: [VAL] Tires

Pete,
Just because the tire says 90 psi on the side doesn't mean it should be run
at that pressure. That is a maximum pressure that the manufacturer
recommends. Proper  tire pressures are determined by load. If a tire is
underinflated for a given load it will get hot and wear on the outer edges
of the tread. If it is overinflated it will wear in the center of the tread.
Proper inflation will give even wear across the tire which in turn shows a
full contact patch for the tire and the best possible adhesion. Back in my
car racing days we used a pyrometer to check tire surface temps on the outer
edges and in the center. With a bit of fine tuning of the pressures, wheel
camber and toe, we could get the car to handle well with even tire  wear and
temps. I suspect he only way your Safari would require 90 psi using the
recommended tires  is if the trailer itself  was overloaded.
Hopefully this doesn't start a big controversy
Colin Hyde