[VAL] Vanessa and 289 Fairlanes

Personally - I'm a fan of vintage station wagons for towing.

I would hope you'd do some more homework on the Fairlane.  The 289 is a good
engine - but the 1960's Fairlane was a light weight mid-sized vehicle - and in
my experience - the front suspensions are light and not much fun to steer if
everything is not just right (i.e a brand new vehicle way back when...)  If you
load it up - even with a good hitch...it's just not a very sophisticated system
for it's era.  Also - if you are looking at a 2-door coupe - they have a long
overhang.  Add in the age of the rear springs...and you have the potential for
a lot of white knuckle driving...

I'd recommend researching a vehicle in which the suspension design is up to the
job - assuming it's in good shape.  Study up on transmissions....the 1960's
cars had many designs to choose from...and some were great and some were pretty
light and simple.  A lot of small Fords and Chevys had only 2-speed automatics.
Some big Chevys even had only 2 speed automatics.  Chrysler was known for a
great automatic  - the Torqueflite - in it's big series - and GM did well with
it's big automatics (3 speed Turbo-Hydramatics- and 4 speeds in their older
senior series vehicles.) (I'd stay away from the older 4-speed automatics
unless you really like automotive design...and paying for the privelege of
repairing one...)  (I happen to love the sound of an old 4-speed Hydro-matic
shifting up through it's gears in a pre-1964 Cadillac....but....I have a
favorite old 1963 Cadillac that has been sitting for years...waiting for me to
get around to rebuilding it's transmission..it "lost" two of it's four forward
gears years ago....)

Where was I?  Oh - the Ford's of the mid-60's had Cruise-o-matics in many of
their cars - 3-speeds with a sort of weird layout to the shift quadrant - but
if I towed with a 60's Ford - I'd want a late 60's big block 390/428  with a
C-6 automatic (the C-6 was Ford's big automatic)

So - to recap - check out the best suspension designs - check out the best
brake and suspension designs - check out the best transmission designs...and
then make sure the package they come in does not have a humongous overhang to
the tail end!

Ask me off line...if you want me to rattle on some more...!

Best Wishes - RL

1957 Flying Cloud
1977 Mercury Colony Park
1975 Mercury Colony Park