Re: [VAL] (no subject)

> Hello All---Looking for a tow vehicle for my newly acquired 31', 1980
> Excella. It weighs 6200 lbs. Thinking about a F250 or F350 diesel. Some have  dual
> tires; is this a decided advantage when towing? Thanks, Dick  Earth.

Only the 350 can be had with dual tires.

First thing you need is a towing rating more than 6200 pounds. Probably
figure at least 7500 pounds to allow for the stuff you will add to the
trailer. Maybe more.

Dual tires are mostly needed when the trailer weight on the truck is
high. That's more likely in a 5th wheel, than a normal Airstream. The
added width is a pain finding more curbs to hit and fewer passages it
can go through. The added tires add maintenance and don't quite add
their total load capability because two tires don't ever have exactly
the same diameter. Sometimes larger trucks stick with large wide singles
rather than duals because of these details.

Gerald J.