Re: [VAL] Olympic Rivets

    Deborah,

    Given that the rest of the rivets I plan to install will allow access
from behind, I would prefer using conventional (Cherry?) rivets.  I have
bought all the necessary tools to do this including a proper sized air
compressor that now requires me to improve the electrical service to the
garage for it to operate beyond 40 PSI, where it now pops the circuit
breaker, an air impact air hammer with rivet stem and a bucking bar.

    I might add that I owe a lot to Uwe for setting me straight on what to
buy and where when it came to the tools and rivets.

    As some of you know, I'll be adding an access door to the curbside just
aft of the wheel well which will allow the large and dusty space under the
berth and outboard of the plastic tubs to be used for the first time in 36
years.  I actually have a door that I could put in now but bought it before
doing my homework.  It turns out to be from  the mid 1980's and would not be
visually correct on my 1969 Caravel.  I'm currently arranging for the proper
door with correct Chicago pop out lock for that installation.  I hope
getting this door really does happen because this particular task has been
dragging on too long.

    As far as the two Olympic rivets I did use the other day are concerned,
I may well replace them with conventional rivets some time on down the line
but wanted to get them into the holes I drilled at the end of the 1" long
skin tears adjacent to the top corners of my Bowen water heater cutout.  I
wanted to just get them in and move on to my next project, sweating two
leaks I've found at joints in the copper water line.  I'm sure I'll
eventually remove the entire heater for the sake of access to the rear of
those two rivets with a bucking bar so as to replace them but just not now.

    It strikes me as funny for me to go to such lengths for these skin tears
and those tow little rivets because the Caravel is in place at the back of
the property with no plans for us to ever move from that spot as long as we
own her.  I guess what it boils down to is that I'm doing it long term for
the next owner many, many years from now.

    So far as trimming the legs of an Olympic rivet goes, I'd like to read
that one myself.  When installing them at the water heater the other day, I
noticed an empty hole in the skin where a factory installed rivet had been.
I inserted an Olympic rivet there but it quickly bottomed out on something
behind it.  Eventually I'd like to get some sort of rivet in there too.

    Regards,

    Glyn