Re: [VAL] tail light lenses

Chuck,
    First you've got to determine which version of the several types of
"weeding cake" tail lamps your trailer has.  The one's you mention from
Airstream Dreams are the oft mentioned Bargman 99's.  I believe they are a
three screw design and may be a bit smaller in diameter and "height" (of the
cake), than some of the other "wedding cake" designs.  Our '66 Overlander
used one of two somewhat different "wedding cakes" designs from a company
called Autolamp (both of which are 4 screw designs, with four additional
clearance holes for rivet heads, giving them eight holes around the
perimeter).  I beleive these are a bit larger in diameter than the Bargman
99's.  I know there are several other lenses made by other manufacturers
that are interchangelable with the Autolamp lenses.  I am not certain, but I
think there may be other manufacterers of 3 hole designs than just Bargman,
too.

I don't think the Autolamp styles were used before the '60's, so your '59
may have the Bargman 99's.  If so, you are lucky that Airstream Dreams is
reproducing them.  None of the other "wedding cakes" are reproduced to my
knowledge.  The only option for them is to find NOS (new old stock) parts or
salvage parts off another trailer (may not need to be an Airstream, however,
as these lamps were used on other brands as well).  Unfortunately as I
found, salvaged parts may in fact be in worse condition than the ones you
already have (assuming yours are still present and in one peice), if you buy
them sight unseen (as I did).

Other than Airstream Dreams or a trailer salvage place, you are left with
swap meets and eBay to try to find lenses (I occasionally see the Bargman 99
repro's on eBay - you may get them cheaper there, or maybe not). I will also
mention one web site for old lenses that you could check, but I have never
seen the Bargman 99's listed there:  http://www.tailightking.com.

Good luck.

Joe