Re: [VAL] Aistream factory aerial view? URL link here

David Tidmore wrote:

> TerraServer is a neat service, but the data is getting very old, much of it
> hovering around 10 years and that is the reason the service is free.  The
> data has depreciated to zero value due to age.

Terraserver uses USGS data for it's aerial photos and topographic maps.

It's old because the government isn't updating the data.

Since land masses don't change that much, I've found the topo and aerial
data to be of great value in my own off-road explorations out west. You
do need to be aware of the dates on the data you're looking at though.

Newer aerial photos are available for a price. Newer topos aren't.

What I don't like is the Terraserver tile number limitation on the
Terraserver web display. There are better USGS/Terraserver display
utilities that can display high-res tiles across a 1600x1200 screen
resolution or higher. This makes looking at the data much easier, as you
get to see more. Additionally, using these utilities you can import and
export GPS tracks and waypoints, so you can see where you were, or
create tracks to follow when you go out exploring right there on the
map, aerial photo, or aerial photo with map overlaid on top.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060