RE: [VAL] Replacement Furnaces

Mark,

>The innards of the NT furnace series are all interchangeable.  The good
>part
>about that is that the original furnace cabinet is very likely glued or
>siliconed into the outside wall.  To remove the cabinet, then replace it
>with identical one, would be a waste of time, and probably break the seal
>forever, unless he really wants to make a lot of work for himself to have a
>shiny new box, which nobody will see.

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I have already taken the inside of mine out, to fix a vibration problem.
That is how I discovered the hole in the firebox.

We didn't use it much because it vibrated and made a LOUD noise. Good thing
we didn't, as I am sure it was belching CO into the trailer.

>Remove the chrome outside vent cover (if  your unit has a rust problem,
>that
>cover may very well stick to the furnace in/outlets, making removal a real
>booger.  When you re-install, it can hang up the final shove to get
>everything back in place.  Best to take it out of the loop, clean it up,
>and
>re-seal it when you're done, unless you get a new one with the new
>furnace...I think you do)

Yes, you do get a new vent cover

>After all is said and done, you might want to sell your good parts on ebay.
>The gas valve, relay, circuit board, sail switch, etc. ALL have value to
>somebody, if nothing else, for backup parts.  If you're heater fired and
>ran
>fine, but leaked fire, it would imply your other parts are working, and
>could be a real boon to somebody.  If your circuit board is a 'Dinosaur'
>brand, it's a replacement, and a better unit than the original.

Good idea. The furnace ran fine, except for the vibration and the hole...
:-)

Dave