RE: [VAL] Vintage uses including permanent homes

Hi Hunter,

As you will may several years ago I bought my vintage 1966 in Ashland,
Oregon where I stayed through the Fall to prepare the coach for transport to
California.  My puller at the time was not the most powerful and the Siksyou
Pass was threatening snow, so I was eager to "get outta Dogde:).

It was during that time that I had the wonderful experience of being
wetnursed by Bill Scott, one of the masters of polishing on How to make my
coach pass inspection.  At issue was the petty even snobby attitude of the
Park Managers here in Southern California.  Any coach older than 10 years is
automatically suspicious.  And a 35 year old Airstream was really on the
edge of rejection.  Thanks to Bill (rest his soul) and many other fine VAC
list members, including Tom Patterson, I was able to bring the old coach to
working shape.

I made it over the pass on the morning of the first winter storm just before
they required snow chains and never looked back.  I installed my Safari in a
25' x 28' lot only 200 yards from the Pacific Ocean.  Mira Mar Mobile
Community is a gated senior community and I barely qualified because the
slot opened just before I turned 55.

Anyway I got in and got a rent controlled living situation that should be
good for life if the greedy land barons around Oceanside don't try to
eliminate the Park and it's 175 inhabitants.

Then I found out that Mira Mar rules do not allow frequent removal of the
mobile home from the park, so I was told in effect if I kept moving it to
rallies and dealers that I would lose my spot.  So this 22' single axle has
basically become my home/office in Paradise.  I use my 1973 E-200 puller if
I ever had to get it to the doctor but I am contemplating a different
direction which is why I am writing this prefice.

With only 25' x 28' lot and 2' setbacks on the back and sides my 26' long
Safari, counting tongue barely fits the pad as is.  And I need more living
space because I have a fiance' and she won't spend much time down here
dancing in an 8'x16' cabin (not counting the 6 foot bathroom).

So I came up with the idea of building a very high technology "California
Room' attached by airlock or other means to the side of the Airstream.  They
dock space stations and their air tight.  I consulted with a leading design
and architecture firm in San Diego who like the idea for the project and I
have a budget of $50,000 to complete it, including interior fixtures.  Note:
I am spending a lot of time at Ikea these days.  Every Airstreamer ought to
take a day off and go check out their design centers.

I am happy to put out my plans for the permanent installation of my Safari
in Mira Mar if list members wish to follow and contribute ideas.  BTW.  The
property values here are high for trailer parks but low for San Diego.
Today I could easily sell my coach, with storage shed and patio table/with
umbrella for $25,000. By the time I add $50,000 in home improvements I
believe the pad and dwelling will be well over $100,000 in value and with
buyers lined up.

The point is that this project can be prototypical of how many others in
many parks that are in desirable locations can make their vintage Airstream
into the nucleus of a 21st century living environment that could well be
called "minimalistic".

Thanks for letting me fully present.

Bob Kiger
www.cruiserbob.com