Re: [VAL] 1953 Silver Streak Clipper

Hi David:

    Curtis Wright Industries, Inc., introduced their first all-aluminum
trailer, the 22' Clipper, in January 1947.  It was designed by Wally
Byam when he worked for C-W just after WW II.  Wally left C-W in the
Spring of 1947 and took a few people with him to restart Airstream.

    C-W built and sold the 22' Clipper for just over 2 years.  In the
Spring of 1949, C-W sold all rights to Silver Streak Trailer Company, El
Monte, Calif., a newly formed company which continued to build the 22'
Clipper.  I have two old 1949 magazines ads, one month apart, showing
the identical trailer -- the early one by Curtis Wright and the later
one by Silver Streak.  So, the 22' Clipper badging changed from Curtis
Wright Industries, Inc., to Silver Stream Trailer company in late
Spring, 1949.

    Tom - here's a question for you.  Are you related to Pat Patterson,
one of the three founders of Silver Streak and the later founder of
Streamline?  I've noticed your fondness for a particular brand of
tailer.  :)

Fred Coldwell