[VAL] Re: underfloor insulation

Here's a message I clipped from the Spartan trailer discussion group on
insulating trailers.
John Leggett
San Francisco
1968 Safari
1946 Spartan

Sun Jan 30, 2005  8:58 pm

Timeless Travel Trailers

Sealing leaks, vapor barriers, insulation

Rivets or stainless steel bolts and nuts make fine hole sealers that
will last forever without being influenced by expanding and
contracting skin in the hot and cold cycles of the desert.

As in any structure, you want the vapor barrier to be located between the finished surface and the insulation. You want to keep the moisture out of the insulation so that it maintains its R value. We use Polyisocyanurate foam which is environmentally friendly and comes with an aluminum face. We use 2" with an R value of 15. It is
fireproof, has no formaldahyde or other nasty gases. And yes, it does conform to even the tightest compound curves.

After the Polyiso is in, we tape all joints with aluminum duct tape
and then cover everything with a 6 mil polyethelene plastic sheeting
to keep the moisture away from the skin.

Basically, we cut fireproof polyisocyanurate foam insulation to fit
between the chassis members and covered the entire underside with 24
gauge galvanized sheet metal attached with self-drilling screws with
sealing washers. All of the seams are caulked with a 30 year
silicone product. It makes the trailer vermin-proof from the underside.

Brett Hall
www.TimelessTravelTrailers.com