Re: Re: [VAL] Aluminum wire for 12vdc?

Paul,

The problem I've encountered with some of the outlets connected to aluminum
wire is that the factory did not leave enough wire to pigtail to. That is,
some outlets had such corroded aluminum wire that it would have to be
trimmed back nearly two inches to get to wire that is not brittle and
oxidized. That left little to pigtail to. Of course, that might not be your
situation, other outlets in the same coach had a foot or more of wire looped
behind them. Surprisingly, all the outlets worked (except the outdoor
"porch"), in the sense that I could plug in an appliance, but I am amazed at
how much the ends are oxidized, and brittle.

I have aluminum wiring in my home, and so I am very familiar with what Dr.
Johnson has stated. Basic outlets and switches compatible with aluminum
wiring are available for the lowest prices at Lowe's or Home Depot. But
since they are somewhat of a specialty item they are very expensive
especially at ordinary neighborhood hardware stores. I've generally only
found them in one color also - biege, but I was surprised last time I went
to Home Depot and found they also carry white. A bottle of Aluminum No-Ox
goes a long, long way, so don't buy a big bottle. You don't have to use very
much, but be sure to use the correct cripping device, then wrap the
connection tightly with electrical tape.

Dr. Johnson, I doubt you will be able to pull the old aluminum wiring Romex
out. Not because it will be clamped down or crimped anywhere, but because of
all the twists and turns and loops it takes.

Forrest