[VAL] Re: Surge Brakes

Finally a subject I know something about.

For many years I owned a '33 boat which I trailered on a triple axle trailer
equipped with surge brakes. The total weight of the boat and trailer was
10,000+ pounds. My tow vehicle was a GMC 1 ton crewcab daully with a 454
engine.

The surge brakes worked reasonably well. Backing up is not a problem as the
brakes respond only to surges which compress a hydraulic cylinder in the
hitch (deceleration when you apply the tow vehicle brakes to stop when
traveling forward  and, conversely, acceleration when you apply the gas to
back up.) If you don't gun the throttle while backing up (and who would want
to),  the brakes don't activate. Indeed, it never happened to me.

It is my understanding that all large boat trailers have surge brakes
because electric brakes would likely malfunction after the boat is launched
or retrieved, during which the trailer wheels are completely submerged in
the water.

Marvin Murray
'76 Tradewind 25'