[VAL] Copper Plumbing

I ususally lurk and read the posts here, but I have some experience with this
one, as I am currently in the process of re-plumbing our entire '66 GT. When
I bought this thing, it had about 15 patched lines (with flex hose and clamps),
and I had to repair at least one leak every time we took it out.. Somone in
the past had also tried to "flare" the 1/2" fitting with little success. I
asked my master plumber father in law about it, he said he had never seen the
5/8" pipe size, he too thought it may be a refridgeration tube. Wonder if
this was another "proprietary" Airstream deal to drive folks to the dealer
for parts, like the sewer hookups?  Went to several hardware stores, called
every plumbing store in the area and no one could help with the fittings, so
I finally decided to re-plumb the entire thing in 1/2 copper, adding shuts
offs at the faucets and water heater. PEX would probably be a good
alternative, it's a lot easier to deal with and doesn't freeze as quickly as
copper, but you must buy the tools to crimp it, and it isn't original. A PEX
application would still have to be winterized.

This must be a big problem on these units because the I looked at another
couple's vintage trailer on our last outing and he had a bunch of rubber
hoses clamped on his as well.

Mark Pate
Stanley, NC
'66 GT