Re: [VAL] Airstream, Inc., WBCCI, and VAC

John,

Indeed, what a nice post. It is great to hear your "two cents worth." Living
60 miles from the factory must give you a totally different, and to me a
welcome, perspective. But keep in mind that some of the "complaining" might
be just as legitimate. Our only contact with Airstream has been with "local"
dealerships, and between Albuquerque, New Mexico and Missoula, Montana there
is one, and only one dealership (located in Denver), for the front range of
the Rocky Mountains. There are no authorized Airstream dealerships in
Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, or Wyoming. Our Unit's
relationship with our one Airstream dealership has improved, but there is no
comparing it to the service you received at the factory. Like you, I also
"pay more attention to what people *do* than what they *say*."

For instance, I too needed a new axle for my Globe Trotter, but when I
contacted the dealership I was not even able to get a price quote. They did
not return my calls. Their "Airstream factory trained expert" did not even
know what the characteristics of a worn out Henchen axle were. I had to
explain it to him. He was less than enthusiastic about replacing my axle,
and never got back to me. Just as well, I don't want anyone who knows less
about Airstreams than I do -- and I claim no expertise -- working on my
unit. I ended up replacing the axle on my own in my driveway.

Members of our Unit with new Airstreams, still under warranty, but using the
Hensley hitch are required by this same dealership to leave their tow
vehicle with their trailer while it is being serviced. The dealership will
not provide service otherwise because they are unwilling to work with that
particular hitch. At the same time they will not permit the owner to stay on
the property overnight in their trailer. Things like this are not just
little inconviences, and as a result these members actually find it is more
convenient to have their Airstreams serviced at Oasis RV, in Phoenix,
Arizona, because that dealership will accomodate them.

I am delighted that the Homecoming event and the factory service has been
such a positive experience for you. It gives the rest of us hope! But don't
get too down on us out here in the barren waste lands, more than one
thousand miles from the factory, because of our less than satisfactory
customer experiences with the "one big, happy" Airstream family.

Forrest