[VAL] Re: Old vs New

Having had a 67 Safari that I sold to buy a 03 Safari, then sold the 03
to buy and restore a 54 Flying Cloud I feel like I've been there, done
that. Oldies have a special allure that can't be replicated with a new
trailer but it's an acquired taste that doesn't work for everyone. My
preferring an older trailer is more about the pride in traveling with a
50 yr. old, irreplaceable, piece of history. When I had the 03 I was
comfortable to the point where if I could have afforded both I would
have kept it, but it was boring. Nothing to tinker with or trade
stories with others on how to solve a problem. To take care of the
comfort I put all the convieniences that I loved about the 03 into the
54.

I don't think that Airstream, Corp. has ignored the vintage group.
Dickie was at the International and spent a lot of time with the
vintage group and seemed to be genuinely interested in the unique
difficulties facing vintage owners. During the many visits to the plant
I felt a new interest in working on the older trailers and the fact
that they now display oldies in front of the main office shows their
pride in original products. I think the problems come from the old
guard WBCCI members who have newer units.

Just my opinion.

Patti