Re: [VAL] Which Olympic rivets?

Look at the rivets listed on the Airstreamdreams.com site, they are the
correct rivets. I believe what you want is a 5-5 rivet for exterior work on
your Airstream.  The first number is dia in 1/32 inch, most Airstreams I
have seen use a 5/32" rivet shank diameter on the exterior hence the 5-5
instead of 4-5 size, its the right size as used on my '64.

www.airstreamdreams.com web site has the technical dimensions of the
Olympic rivets on line if this helps resolve your question.

One question that has been debated is the use of the type with the neoprene
washer or not, I use them, however they take a bit more skill to use
properly as you need a correctly de-burred hole with a slight chamfer to
avoid extruding the washer. With either type rivet, I always use a bit of
Vulkem preferably applied between the two pieces of aluminum so when they
are clamped together by the rivet it extrudes slightly and can be cleaned
up with a paper towel dampened with mineral spirits. I usually let the
vulkem set up about 5 to 24 hours or more before shaving the heads and then
cleaning up the last bit of Vulkem that has extruded. It makes a nice neat
professional appearing job of it.

One more thing about the shaving tool, it allows you to get a closer and
very consistent head shape and height that appears very original if your
looking for that detail.

--
Mitch Hill - K1FH
WBCCI 21960