[VAL] Newbie asking about tow vehicles

I never gave much thought toward owning a travel trailer before I found
a 72 Airstream resting quietly in the hills of southern Indiana.  Ive
done a lot of tent camping, hundreds of trips, but my wife is not
enthusiastic about living in the wilderness preferring the comfort of
home.

My wife and I had gone to pick up some tractor parts, and when we
didnt find the owner at home, we went exploring.  On our return to the
car we spotted the Airstream.  The door wasnt locked, so we opened it
expecting to find a tattered interior accompanied by a musty smell.  To
our surprise, the inside was clean and neat.  The outside is in great
shape too with no dents etc. but it could use a good cleaning.

When the owner returned we discovered the Airstream was for sale due to
his illness.  It has been in the same family since new. Im not sure
what model it is.  It is 25 feet long and everything is supposed to
work except the air conditioning which will come on but then will blow
the breaker after about a minute or so.

We didnt have time to take a close inspection tour, so I must return
to check out many of the things Ive learned from reading this list.
Ill make a list of the things it has and if they actually work, look
for soft spots in the floor, check the windows, wiring, cabinets, beds,
look at the skin, check under the vehicle for condition concerns,
suspension, brakes, tires, etc.  Any additional suggestions are
welcome.

I do have a question about pulling an Airstream however.  I have an 18
foot flat bed machinery trailer and an F-150 Ford V-6 to pull it.  The
truck came with a trailer package.  Ive pulled loads up to 7,000 lbs.
from California to Ohio without any problems, however I wouldnt want
to do that every day!  I dont push the truck when pulling but let it
find a comfortable speed in relation to load conditions.  Admittedly I
was down to 30/35 MPH on some hills out west, but this didnt bother
me.

Im 70 and retired.  I will not be in the market for another truck with
stronger engine etc, so Ill have to live with what I have.  Am I
expecting too much from my F-150 when I hook it to a 4,000 lb
Airstream?  After all, this is not a flat bed trailer but a big, pardon
the expression, box.  While most of my trips will be short, less than
250 miles, I would like to think I could start cross country now and
then without worry about transmission failure etc.

See you down by the barn . . . .

Dick Harrold
Noblesville, IN USA