[VAL] sway control-hitches

More sway control info-for whatever it may be worth.

The first thing to keep in mind is that sway control devices are an after
market product.

Virtually all but the smallest new trailers are individually  towed to the
dealer by transport drivers typically using 3/4 or 1ton pick ups using a
load equalizing hitch  but  with out any kind of sway control.
While accidents do happen from time to time they generally are due to bad
judgement. I do not personally know of any that were a result of sway. By
sway I mean repeated oscillation, not the one time wiggle caused by a
passing truck.

Years back, a post by Charlie Burke said his dealership recommended that  a
trailer owner try towing his unit with out sway control first and then
decide if he wanted to add it or not.
At the time I questioned this , however after 6 years and several hundred
thousand miles as a transport driver i now feel it was sound advise.

I have only had one poor handling trailer over the years . On that basis I
am inclined to feel if the trailer handles poorly with out sway control
there is a problem  with either the trailer or tow vehicle that needs to be
found and only then should the sway control be added as an extra safety device.

There are two common types of sway control, both with their good and bad
points.
The dual cam uses cams on the equalizing bars to hold the truck and trailer
in a straight line. It works quite well but has to be set up carefully and
load distribution can not be changed easily to accommodate special
circumstances.

The friction control basically works like a brake, resisting  a change in
the position of the trailer in relationship to the tow vehicle. It is
easily adjustable.

Both work well under good conditions and are frequently used in combination.

When snow or ice is encountered is when sway control becomes undesirable if
not downright dangerous. This is because it wants to keep the trailer
straight behind the vehicle, or in the case of friction in, some position.
( if on a curve )  when it is necessary to turn and it is very slick the
vehicle will not want to turn because of the device and the trailer will
not want to follow.

The friction control can be easily disabled simply by loosening the
adjustment, however the only way to disable the dual cam is to drop the
equalizing bars. This of course put a lot more weight on the back which
will help traction but may have an adverse affect on steering as weight
comes off the front.
keep in mind also that speeds will be quite low under these driving conditions.

Of course under these circumstances getting off the road  as quickly as
possible is the best advice but in practice can be difficult at times.
Many accidents are a result of trying to go "just one more exit"

I have sway control on some of my trailers and none on others and am not
advocating any one not use it or any other safety device,
just making the point that it should be a safety aid, not a cover up for an
underlying problem

Rick Davis 1602
54 safari, 61 tradewind, 69 ambassador, 70 globe trotter.
past pres. VAC