Re: [VAL] Re: Gas Mileage

I have an "02" Silverado 2500 that gets 15+ mpg on the turnpike doing 70
with cruise control and no trailer... drops to 10 - 11 with the trailer and
the button pushed to get it into tow mode...  Tow mode as I understand it
keeps the trans in a gear longer and moves the shift points around so that
the truck is not in the top gear (overdrive) in the speeds I drive with the
trailer... We have a 32' Excella that is heavier than your trailer, but
probably still comparable towing on fairly flat ground... same relative
frontal area...

You might want to check the actual towing rating of the truck... I think
the 10,000 lb rating you are referring to is the safety rating on the hitch
receiver... actual towing rating with that rear end is probably less than
8,000...

I have a neighbor that notices a drop from 10 mpg with his new pickup to 8
mpg just by putting it in 4 wheel drive... ( short trips and around town.)

I am considering a switch to diesel for my next truck and expect mpg to
jump to 18+ with the trailer.... and 20+ on the road without the trailer...
around town will probably still be way down ...not enough relative time
spent in the high gears...

Best regards,

Jim