Re: [VAL] Gas mileage

Your rear axle gears are pretty tall, maybe too tall.  What grade of
gasoline do you have to use?  If you use mid-grade your truck will run
cooler and have more power as there's not as much alcohol (methanol?) in
that grade as there is in standard regular gas.

Do you go slower towing the trailer than you do when running solo?  By how
much either way?

Years ago we had a Ford 2 wheel drive, 351 cubic inch block, fuel injected
with tall gears like you have in the rear axle.  I had plenty of power when
not towing but the truck needed premium grade gasoline or else it pinged
(pre-ignition) when towing our 29' International Ambassador.  I also got
lousy mileage.

I looked into replacing the rear axle gears on what was then my new truck
but it would have cost me over $300.00 to do so.  I traded my truck a while
later for one 1989 Ford F-250 Diesel super-cab that had 4:11 rear axle
gears.  Granted, top speed wasn't super but it would tow stumps out of the
ground just idling.

I think your problem with mileage and power is due to the tall rear grears.

Anyone else?

Tom