[VAL] Holding Tanks

Hello All,

I have a '56 Caravanner and I thought I'd share some thoughts about
retrofitting holding tanks in Airstreams that didn't have them originally.
Several years ago I lived on a boat, and the holding and water tanks were
essentially on the same level as the head and the water outlets. The
significance, it seems to me, of this is that there is no need to install
the holding tank for either gray or black water beneath the floor in an
Airstream. It has simply always been done that way. I intend to install the
Caravanner's black water tank either beneath the bed or in the bottom of a
closet. A 12-volt marine toilet uses a macerating pump to push the waste out
when it is flushed. (And as a bonus macerates it.) There is no reason why it
would have a problem pushing it through a pipe along the baseboard and into
a tank on the same level. The hand pump on my boat's head pushed waste over
20 feet to the holding tank effortlessly. I know that there are weight
distribution issues, but on the plus side the tanks can be situated over the
axles beneath cabinets. With the present flurry of questions about
retrofitting black water tanks, I thought I'd share my observations.

Brian Jenkins