[VAL] RE: 56 Caravanner Woodwork

3/8" Birch Plywood (Cabinet grade), and birch 3/4" stock, finished with
only lacquer will match the original materials just fine.  There will be
an initial time period when the wood will look lighter until UV darkens
the lacquer (about 1 year), and even longer for the wood to develop that
50 year old patina/color, but luckily that is not too noticeable to the
average person.  Where a repair or new piece will be next to an older
section and be noticeable, you can use an aniline wood dye (raw sienna)
to pre-age the wood color almost perfectly.  I use the alcohol base
variety - doesn't raise the grain. I get it from
http://www.liberonsupply.com/liberon.html, but is also available from
local woodworking stores.

I get my wood from a local lumber yard that carries a good line of wood
species (Southern Lumber, San Jose).

Matching the cabinetry will pay off in the long run, nothing stands out
quite as bad, or affects resale value as poor woodwork will.

Best of luck,
RJ
VintageAirstream.com