[VAL] Polishing

Those of you at the RM rally who saw out 'new' '72 Overlander may recall the
deep scratches left from someone using a sander on the front cap. Since
getting them out would involve polishing, I decided to do so, and to finish
the entire trailer.

I got a Cyclo polisher and the DeWalt 1/2" drill, along with an assortment
of Nuvite, and started off. Deciding to tackle the front cap first, I used
the drill with bonnet and Nuvite F7. Worked fine, and only took a couple of
passes to smooth out the scratches, but physically, it was a bear. Even
working from a scaffold so as to be able to reach the area easily, it was
tough, due to the configuration of the drill.

While browsing through Harbor Freight this morning, I saw a 7" variable
speed sander/polisher (Item #46507) on sale for $29.99, and, since I don't
have one, picked it up. Tried it out on a previously unpolished area with
the F7, and it worked dvery bit as well as the DeWalt, with less strain, due
to the right angle design, with the weight naturally falling on the bonnet.
A heck of a lot less expensive, too.

While the Harbor Freight tool runs at 1000 rpm, a couple of times faster
than the DeWalt, with care it will not 'burn' the skin. I'm sure I'll use
the DeWalt when I get to the lower parts of the trailer, but this tool will
make things much easier for those high, hard to reach areas.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

Bob Hightower
'72 Overlander
'76 Sov