[VAL] Mark's Mystery Tradewind in Modesto

  Mark - a couple of questions about your interesting mystery 1962 Tradewind:

  You've mentioned you've owned it for 25 years and that it's a tandem axle
and it has both electric and hydraulic brakes as well as Dura-Torques.

  Is the double brake system a common set-up?  I've not heard of it to date.
Is one system the primary one and the other a back up?  Is the duplicate
system on both axles?  Since you've owned it so long - does the system appear
to be factory installed?

  Or - are you talking about an electrically "boosted" hydraulic system?

  I believe that the tandem axle installation on the 1962 Tradewinds was an
option and that tandems were not standard until a few years later?  Also - I
think in your picture it looks like you have a 5-panel roof (it's a little
hard to tell with the glare in the photo).  I think this was a time when the
switch from 7-panels to 5 was taking place.  The panel design switch did not
take place on all models at the same time - at least from what I've discovered
from when Airstream started it's earlier switch from 13 to 7 back in the
mid-50's.

  So - you've got a lot of little different details.  I would wonder if your
gold paneled trailer - being a 1962 - just about the time that we lost Wally -
"might" have been ordered/set-up to go on (and possibly lead?) another Byam
Caravan.  We've read where the tandem option was popular in the early years
for those going on Caravans to allow for a little extra suspension control and
a little leeway with flat tire situations etc.

  (if you have not read the information surrounding the 1958-59 22' World
Traveler model on RJ Dial's VintageAirstream.com photo site - it's
interesting)

  I can't remember if you've mentioned anything about your electrical system.
Are there any duplications or differences to allow for traveling overseas etc.
Are there any marks on the shell that might suggest it had been in "slings"
for loading on a freighter etc.?

  Best Wishes.  RL McFarland