[VAL] Zip Dee Spring replacemnt

I would like to report a fix that went rather well ...

The street side awning gave out a strange noise the last time it was pulled
down and it was obvious that there was no spring action to rewind the
awning.. Diagnosis a busted spring, but not very convenient to fix it away
from home ...

A local mechanic reinvented something I remembered later from the list and
I would like to recommend the preparation of a couple of bent wires to hold
the awning upright while traveling home... I added a couple of strips of
rather large electrical tape to help out, but I am fairly sure it was not
needed... The wires were actually a welding rod that the mechanic bent a 3"
right angle on one end and a kink in the longer leg to match the curve of
the Zip Dee arm... The wires were mounted to the arm with hose clamps and
were positioned to hook into the rain gutter above the awning assembly... I
later remembered reading someone on the list that had done the same and had
a successful trip home... Remember the 3" bend on the end goes in different
directions depending on which end of the awning you are locating it...
There is no way to bend it wrong, but the kink in the long leg actually
determines which end of the awning the thing will mount on... just follow
the awning arm... I would recommend the adding to the travel kit of two
such wires and some hose clamps to be ready for the break that hopefully
will never happen...

Once home I went over to Zip Dee and purchased the spring kit which is
actually a little assembly of a spring and two cast aluminum end pieces and
the shaft that runs inside the spring ..  Three rivets and a cotter key
complete the package for a total of about $70.00   Good Instructions come
with the package and it's a project that anyone that can put in pop rivets
and handle a drill to get the old rivets out can do.. Because of the way my
assembly broke the end of the old spring assembly would not come out and
finally was pushed further back into the tube and the new spring assemble
riveted in place... Wind up the spring and remount the arm and the job is
done... Apparently there are only a couple of spring assemblies available
for that size tube and any awning over 5' long gets the same spring...

Anyway.. tell Jim the parts man at Zip Dee what you have and he tells you
what you need and will ship just about anywhere...

Zip Dee is here in Elk Grove IL... at 1-847-437-0980....

The wires I have are fine for me, but if I were making them I would
probably go for a piece of 3/16" drill rod...

A good addition to the travel kit, but hopefully something never needed...

Jim ....