[VAL] frame separation

I want to pass along a fix I came up with for plywood sub floor
separating from the aluminum channel. Simpson Strongtie, which
manufactures wood and metal connectors for the construction industry,
make a galvanized angle clip meant to connect wood members joining at a
right angle to one another. The clips are bent at 90 degrees and
measure ~ 3" X 1 1/2 (3" X 3" before bent to 90 degrees). They are
available through building centers and lumber yards. I used these to
firm up the connection of the plywood sub floor to the aluminum channel
in a few spots in our '79 International 31'.

After removing the rear twins I found some spongy sub floor- no "frame
separation", but a few areas where the plywood to channel connection
was questionable. The clips screwed to the aluminum channel with
self-tapping sheet metal screws, and to the sub floor with jack bolts.
Jack bolts compress to form a flange below the sub floor and offer a
threaded nut in to which I screwed machine screws. This allowed me to
get a very firm connection to the sub floor without cutting an access
hole through it to install a washer and nut.  I always dab a little JB
weld on the threads to be sure they don't back out. Space the clips as
needed: I put mine on ~ 1' centers: increase or decrease frequency as
needed. I also used Minwax wood hardener to firm up the plywood. This
helps a lot. If your sub floor is still solid enough to benefit from
this treatment it might be worth trying, to save the pain and
aggravation of replacing the sub floor entirely.

Chris K.
camped west of Des Moines